Job OR Career?: ...hAR?
Food for thought time! Ready? Let'sss.. Go!! =p
26th May - supposedly the day when I have my FirsT formal interview in my whole entire life. I applied for the position of a PA @ this insurance company, expecting the interviewer to bombard me with qns abt how "qualified" I am for the job until I become totally dumbfounded & lost for words.. then maybe I can dig a hole in the ground until I get out of the office & to the lift..wahahah. BUT the whole interview turned out to be more like a pep-talk session lei. Out of the entire time I spent in his office, the interviewer only spent like less than 1 min (?) talking abt anything to do with the position I applied.. and the rest of the time he was psycho-ing me into becoming a financial analyst.. okAY berry gooood~ I spent the whole time either reading more and more articles about the successful candidateS (haha i must emphasise the "S" becoz now I think about it.. his so-called successful PPL is like only 1 girl whom he kept stressing lo.. haaha.. ;p), or busy nodding my head away non-stop at every good thing he has to say abt being a financial analyst.
Before this if you ask me what is the job I will least want to work in, I would say financial analyst.. bcoz one has to be qt "thickskin" to be in this line (sorry ar no offence to anyone in particular) and I seriously lack the kou3 cai2 and courage to do this job. I've heard alot of stories abt successful ppl in this line and how lucrative this business is..but I know I'm not cut out for this line, and I'm not exactly an ambitious person.. at least at this stage of my life, that's my philosophy.. "enuf" can liao.
But after the psycho-ing session today, I must admit I was really tempted for awhile by the monetary rewards that this job offers, and I was actually considering if I COULD do it if I wanted to.. haha **brainwashed** That interviewer was good..even such a laid back person like me can also get motivated by him..hahaha.. not bad not bad ;p Throughout the session, I realised he kept emphasising on JOB vs CAREER. He said there's a difference between the 2 you know? Oh I duno.. now that you tell me then I know. (*grin* )
job=work for a boss and do whatever your boss tells you to do
VS
career=work for yourself and do what you need to achieve what you want
So his bottomline is PA=job, financial analyst=career.. and most inportantly he's trying to convince me that career obviously is better cuz earn more $$ and you carve out a career for your own self instead of having to be dictated by your boss. Yaa makes sense.. and then he said if I rather choose job and the pathetically-low salary that comes with it.. then just too bad for me. okAy... so conclusion?
I thought about it on my way home after the sooper long session in the office.. you ask me the question again now, I think my answer is still JOB. hahaha I can imagine the interviewer's face if he knows abt this.. he'll faint lo.. hahaha. Actually I also duno what will be the best for myself.. $$$ + career career means good for me meh? Sounds like 1+1=2.. but I don't forsee myself being so successful n earning like crazy, instead I forsee myself having to sacrifice something else in exchange for the $$ etc..that something which i think will be more important to me than $$.. ok so I think I can just happily stick to finding JOBs from now on. Or maybe next time I might look for a 'career'..5 or 10 yrs down the road?...we'll see. At the end of the day, all of us hav different goals in life and we just have to respect everyone for whatever decision that they make.. there's no 'better' or 'bad' solution I think. But thanks uncle for the pep-talk tdy..I guessed I enjoyed it though..it's very informative indeed :)
26th May - supposedly the day when I have my FirsT formal interview in my whole entire life. I applied for the position of a PA @ this insurance company, expecting the interviewer to bombard me with qns abt how "qualified" I am for the job until I become totally dumbfounded & lost for words.. then maybe I can dig a hole in the ground until I get out of the office & to the lift..wahahah. BUT the whole interview turned out to be more like a pep-talk session lei. Out of the entire time I spent in his office, the interviewer only spent like less than 1 min (?) talking abt anything to do with the position I applied.. and the rest of the time he was psycho-ing me into becoming a financial analyst.. okAY berry gooood~ I spent the whole time either reading more and more articles about the successful candidateS (haha i must emphasise the "S" becoz now I think about it.. his so-called successful PPL is like only 1 girl whom he kept stressing lo.. haaha.. ;p), or busy nodding my head away non-stop at every good thing he has to say abt being a financial analyst.
Before this if you ask me what is the job I will least want to work in, I would say financial analyst.. bcoz one has to be qt "thickskin" to be in this line (sorry ar no offence to anyone in particular) and I seriously lack the kou3 cai2 and courage to do this job. I've heard alot of stories abt successful ppl in this line and how lucrative this business is..but I know I'm not cut out for this line, and I'm not exactly an ambitious person.. at least at this stage of my life, that's my philosophy.. "enuf" can liao.
But after the psycho-ing session today, I must admit I was really tempted for awhile by the monetary rewards that this job offers, and I was actually considering if I COULD do it if I wanted to.. haha **brainwashed** That interviewer was good..even such a laid back person like me can also get motivated by him..hahaha.. not bad not bad ;p Throughout the session, I realised he kept emphasising on JOB vs CAREER. He said there's a difference between the 2 you know? Oh I duno.. now that you tell me then I know. (*grin* )
job=work for a boss and do whatever your boss tells you to do
VS
career=work for yourself and do what you need to achieve what you want
So his bottomline is PA=job, financial analyst=career.. and most inportantly he's trying to convince me that career obviously is better cuz earn more $$ and you carve out a career for your own self instead of having to be dictated by your boss. Yaa makes sense.. and then he said if I rather choose job and the pathetically-low salary that comes with it.. then just too bad for me. okAy... so conclusion?
I thought about it on my way home after the sooper long session in the office.. you ask me the question again now, I think my answer is still JOB. hahaha I can imagine the interviewer's face if he knows abt this.. he'll faint lo.. hahaha. Actually I also duno what will be the best for myself.. $$$ + career career means good for me meh? Sounds like 1+1=2.. but I don't forsee myself being so successful n earning like crazy, instead I forsee myself having to sacrifice something else in exchange for the $$ etc..that something which i think will be more important to me than $$.. ok so I think I can just happily stick to finding JOBs from now on. Or maybe next time I might look for a 'career'..5 or 10 yrs down the road?...we'll see. At the end of the day, all of us hav different goals in life and we just have to respect everyone for whatever decision that they make.. there's no 'better' or 'bad' solution I think. But thanks uncle for the pep-talk tdy..I guessed I enjoyed it though..it's very informative indeed :)



5 Comments:
At 9:50 PM,
DrizZLe Poh said…
Harlow girl, so which insurance company is that this time? no matter how many times these insurance company insist that they are "finance company providing financial services", i still regard them as insurance companies.
To me, a job is a job is a job. career and job are synonyms. Insurance agents (or anyone working in that kinda industry) pocesses a glib tounge and are perfectly capable of turning wrongs into rights, or convincing you into believing them or even thinking from their point of views.
Personally, im dislike the way insurance companies recruit their staff. and i despise the way they "trick" you into attending an interview. I posted my resume online some months ago and 70% of calls from prospective employers are insurance companies. probably becoz of my vast sales experiences. Yucks. and their ruse to get you to go for a brainwash session is promises of management jobs, or administrative desk bound jobs. Nowadays, i tend to get over defensive when i receive such calls.
I was just having a discussion with doPey today about insurance firms and jobs. We were saying we tend to avoid friends whom we know are in the insurance industry. Bleah. hahaha... Not becoz we dun like them as friends. but becoz we dun know if they have an ulterior motive in jioing us for a drink.
well, a job is a career. or if you use that guy's definition, a job will eventually turn into a career as long as you learn to love it. so there, i said my piece. i would have more to complain about insurance company. but hehe, i better stop! and Huggies!
At 10:53 PM,
Jshan said…
Yes drizz! I realli like the way you put it..a job will eventually turn into your career..it's all up to your perspective rite.. and ya now that you say it and i experienced it for myself, I think I was really tricked into gg for the interview..chey! nvm..1 valuable lesson learnt and next time I'll be on guard! haha. ;D Ya I agree with u abt avoiding friends in this industry..that was one of the "sacrifices" I was talking about..and many many more which I can't forsee now..in fact that uncle today actually said that we are NOT doing SALES..but we are "counselling" them.. haha they really good at talking rite.! I'll tell you which insurance company it is when I see you.. yes now I think about it I think he is being abit too obnoxious to imply that his so-called "jobs" are inferior to his so-called "career".. boo!
At 11:59 PM,
DrizZLe Poh said…
ya right... they counsel pple until they literally bug you till you wanna change phone number. and the way they push sales. YUCKS. this is one reason why i dislike insurance, sales and MLM. its like killing your own personal life by getting an irritating job becoz you lose all ur friends.
in short YUCKS!
At 12:05 AM,
JoyceyDopey said…
hahha yes yes i must add my comment here too. remember sometime last year i asked u and meihui out, then this girl came along? and introduced the super duper magnetic mattress and pillows from japan?? yep. hard to forget eh.
when i went for their "interview" they kinda used the same tactic to pian4 me into doing it. and i was free and dumb enuf to really do it for 2 days.. i think. i lost time and travelling money, but luckily tt time was during holiday, so it wasnt tt bad. (besides 2 days out of 3 months is nothing. wahaha)
they too emphasized the amount of money i'd earn as i scale the "CAREER" ladder, because the commission i get is multiples of multiples from all my subordinates. its actually the same as insurance agents lor.. or financial analyist for tht matter.
these ppl are trained in talking one lah, and usually their tactics used are the same because they keep teaching other people the same thing, no wonder i found it so familiar! wahahaha
so anyway, once bitten twice shy? good that u had a good experience. many more interviews to come, jia you girl!! =D hope u find a good job u like and pays decent if not well! hugs!!
At 2:08 PM,
Jshan said…
Thanks for all the enlightenment gals! Heh..my gosh they really use the same tactics, including those "pyramid" network sales ppl. Now I really 'see throough' them liao..wolves in sheep skin! *meeeh* All the same! haha. yes joyce i remember the mattress ppl!!After we get a taste of it ourselves, we really know how scary it is ya..now we all smarter liao..cheers!
Post a Comment
<< Home